Learn about Canton
Canton, Ohio, is a city with a rich heritage and a bright future. As of the latest available data, the city has a population of approximately 70,458 residents. It’s the county seat of Stark County and is known for its unique blend of historical significance and modern progress.
Canton has deep historical roots, earning its place in American history as the birthplace of the 25th U.S. President, William McKinley. The McKinley Presidential Library & Museum stands as a tribute to his legacy, offering visitors a chance to explore his life and times. Additionally, the city played a pivotal role in the development of the American steel industry during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Canton’s industrial heritage is still evident today. The city was once a major manufacturing hub, particularly in the production of steel, stoneware, and agricultural equipment. While the industrial landscape has evolved over the years, Canton retains its strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
The city’s economy has diversified in recent decades, with a focus on healthcare, education, and service industries. Notably, Aultman Hospital and Mercy Medical Center are prominent healthcare institutions that serve the community and beyond. Education is also a priority, with a range of schools, including Stark State College and Malone University.
Canton prides itself on its tight-knit community spirit. The city hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, fostering a sense of togetherness among its residents. The annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival, in particular, draws football fans from across the nation to celebrate the sport’s legends.
Beyond its historical sites, Canton offers cultural attractions for art and music enthusiasts. The Canton Museum of Art showcases a diverse collection of artworks, while the Players Guild Theatre provides quality performances year-round. The city’s music scene also thrives, with live music venues featuring local talent.
Canton’s natural beauty is another notable feature. The city is surrounded by lush parks and outdoor recreational areas, such as Nimisila Park and Sippo Lake Park, offering opportunities for hiking, picnicking, and wildlife observation.
Canton places a strong emphasis on education. The Canton City School District operates several public schools in the area, and there are also private and charter school options. The city’s commitment to education extends to higher learning institutions like Stark State College, providing accessible opportunities for academic advancement.
Canton, Ohio, with its historical significance, strong community spirit, and economic diversification, is a city that continues to grow while honoring its past. Whether you’re exploring its historical landmarks, enjoying cultural attractions, or savoring its natural beauty, Canton offers something for everyone within its vibrant community.
Best Places To Live In Canton
Canton, Ohio, is a city that combines historic charm with modern amenities, making it an attractive place to call home. If you’re considering relocating to this vibrant city, you’ll want to know about the best places to live. Here are five neighborhoods in Canton that offer a high quality of life and a range of housing options to suit your preferences:
- Historic Ridgewood: Nestled in the heart of Canton, the Historic Ridgewood neighborhood is a charming and picturesque area known for its tree-lined streets and historic homes. It offers a strong sense of community and a mix of architectural styles, from elegant Colonial Revivals to cozy Craftsman bungalows. Residents enjoy easy access to downtown Canton, the Canton Arts District, and numerous parks, making it a great choice for those who appreciate both history and urban living.
- Avondale: Located in the northern part of Canton, Avondale is a family-friendly neighborhood known for its spacious homes and well-maintained properties. The area boasts excellent schools, making it ideal for families. Residents can enjoy an active lifestyle with numerous parks and recreational facilities nearby, including the Meyers Lake YMCA. Plus, it’s just a short drive to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a must-visit for sports enthusiasts.
- Nobles Pond: Nobles Pond is an appealing residential neighborhood known for its family-friendly environment and modern amenities. It offers a mix of single-family homes and townhouses, making it an ideal choice for both families and young professionals. The neighborhood is characterized by well-maintained streets and green spaces, creating a
- Perry Township: Situated to the south of Canton, Perry Township offers a quieter, more rural atmosphere while still being close to the city’s amenities. The neighborhood features a variety of housing styles, including new developments and established communities. Perry Township boasts a strong sense of community and excellent schools, making it an attractive option for families. Nature lovers will appreciate the nearby Sippo Lake Park’s hiking trails and wildlife.
- Meyers Lake: Located in the northeastern part of Canton, Meyers Lake is a tranquil residential community centered around the picturesque Meyers Lake Park. This neighborhood is ideal for those who enjoy lakeside living and water-based activities. The park features a beach area, walking trails, and opportunities for boating and fishing. Meyers Lake offers a mix of housing styles, including charming lakeside cottages and spacious family homes.
Canton, Ohio, showcases a diversity of neighborhoods, each with its unique appeal and community spirit. Whether you are drawn to historic elegance, suburban comforts, or the vivacity of city life, Canton has a place that feels like home. These five neighborhoods represent some of the finest places to live in Canton, each offering a distinct living experience. When considering a move to Canton, explore these areas to find the one that aligns with your lifestyle and preferences, ensuring a bright future in this dynamic city.
Things To Do In Canton
Canton, Ohio, may be best known as the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but this city offers much more than just sports-related attractions. Whether you’re a history buff, an art enthusiast, or a nature lover, Canton has a wide range of activities to enjoy. Here are five things to do in Canton, OH:
- Pro Football Hall of Fame: A visit to Canton would only be complete with exploring the Pro Football Hall of Fame. This iconic museum pays homage to the legends of American football, with exhibits featuring memorabilia, interactive displays, and the Hall of Fame Gallery showcasing the bronze busts of inducted players and coaches. Football fans of all ages will be captivated by the history and excitement of the sport.
- Arts District Lot: Immerse yourself in the thriving arts scene at the Canton Arts District Lot. Located downtown, this vibrant neighborhood is home to art galleries, studios, theaters, and live music venues. You can explore the district’s eclectic collection of public art installations, attend gallery openings, or catch a performance at the Canton Palace Theatre, a beautifully restored historic venue.
- McKinley Presidential Library & Museum: Dive into American history by visiting the McKinley Presidential Library & Museum. Named after President William McKinley, who hailed from Canton, this institution offers a fascinating look at the life and times of the 25th President of the United States. The museum features artifacts, exhibits, and even the McKinley National Memorial, his final resting place, set within a serene park.
- Gervasi Vineyard: For a taste of Tuscan charm in the heart of Ohio, head to Gervasi Vineyard. This picturesque winery and resort offer more than just wine tasting; it’s an immersive experience. Explore the vineyard’s lush grounds, savor delicious Italian cuisine at one of the on-site restaurants, or relax by the lake with a glass of wine in hand. Gervasi Vineyard is a wonderful escape for wine enthusiasts and food lovers alike.
- MAPS Air Museum: If you’re interested in aviation and military history, visit the MAPS (Military Aviation Preservation Society) Air Museum. This museum houses an impressive collection of vintage aircraft and aviation artifacts, providing insight into the history of flight and military aviation.
Canton, Ohio, is a city that boasts a diverse range of activities and attractions beyond its football fame. Whether interested in sports history, art and culture, presidential heritage, wine tasting, or outdoor adventures, Canton has something to offer every traveler. So, plan your visit to Canton and immerse yourself in the rich tapestry of experiences this charming city offers.
Neighborhoods Or Areas In Canton
Certainly, Canton, Ohio, is a city with diverse neighborhoods and areas catering to a wide range of preferences and lifestyles. In addition to the previously mentioned neighborhoods, here are five more areas worth considering if you’re looking to live or explore in Canton:
- Market Heights: Market Heights is a neighborhood known for its friendly atmosphere and well-maintained properties. It’s situated in the northwestern part of Canton and offers a mix of housing options, including single-family homes and apartments. The area is close to shopping centers, schools, and recreational facilities, making it a convenient choice for families and professionals.
- West Park: West Park, located in the western part of Canton, is a well-established neighborhood with a strong sense of community. It’s known for its classic architecture, including beautiful brick homes and tree-lined streets. West Park offers a quiet and suburban feel while close to downtown Canton’s amenities. Residents can enjoy nearby parks like Monument Park and access to the nearby Hall of Fame Village.
- Crystal Park: Crystal Park is a well-established neighborhood on the city’s west side. It features a mix of housing styles, including historic homes with character and modern residences. The neighborhood is known for its tight-knit community and neighborhood watch programs, providing residents with security and camaraderie. Crystal Park is conveniently located near shopping centers and schools.
- Vassar Park: Located in the southeastern part of Canton, Vassar Park is a peaceful and family-friendly neighborhood. It’s known for its leafy streets and parks, including Vassar Park, which offers a playground, tennis courts, and walking trails. The area features a variety of housing options, from cozy cottages to larger family homes. Vassar Park is a great choice for those seeking a tranquil suburban lifestyle.
- Nimisila Park: Nimisila Park is a suburban area in Canton’s southwestern part. It offers a mix of residential communities, schools, and green spaces. The neighborhood is characterized by its family-friendly atmosphere and access to outdoor activities. Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park is a highlight for nature enthusiasts, providing boating, hiking, and birdwatching opportunities.
Each of these neighborhoods in Canton, Ohio, has its unique character and amenities, catering to different lifestyles and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a historic district, a suburban haven, or a family-friendly community, Canton has a neighborhood to suit your needs. Explore these areas to find the one that resonates with you and makes you feel at home in this welcoming city.
Transportation, Roads, And Highways In Canton
Canton, Ohio, is strategically located in Stark County, making it accessible via a well-maintained transportation network, roads, and highways. These thoroughfares are crucial in connecting Canton to neighboring cities and regions. Here are five key transportation routes in and around Canton:
- U.S. Route 62: U.S. Route 62 (US-62) traverses Canton from east to west, connecting the city with neighboring towns like Louisville, Alliance, and Massillon. This road serves as a key route for local traffic and provides access to various amenities and businesses in Canton and its surrounding areas.
- Ohio State Route 43: Ohio State Route 43 (OH-43) runs north-south through Canton, intersecting with other major routes. It offers access to the heart of Canton, including the downtown area and cultural attractions. OH-43 also connects to nearby cities such as North Canton and Hartville.
- Ohio State Route 153: Ohio State Route 153 (OH-153) provides a convenient east-west connection for travelers in Canton. It runs through the city, connecting it to East Canton and other eastern suburbs. OH-153 offers access to various neighborhoods, shopping centers, and recreational areas.
- Interstate 77: Interstate 77 (I-77) is a major north-south artery that runs through Canton. It directly links major cities like Akron and Cleveland to the north and Dover, New Philadelphia, and Marietta to the south. I-77 is a vital transportation route for commuters and commercial traffic, facilitating the movement of goods and people throughout the region.
- Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA): SARTA is the public transit agency serving Canton and Stark County. It operates a bus route network connecting various neighborhoods, suburbs, and neighboring cities. SARTA is crucial in providing accessible and affordable transportation options for residents who rely on public transit for their daily commutes and errands.
These transportation options ensure that Canton remains well-connected, making it accessible for residents, businesses, and visitors. Whether traveling locally within the city or venturing to neighboring regions, Canton’s roadways, highways, and public transit systems facilitate smooth and efficient transportation. This connectivity enhances the city’s accessibility and contributes to its role as a hub of commerce and culture in the region.
How You Can Visit Canton
Visiting Canton, Ohio, is an exciting prospect, and there are several convenient ways to explore this vibrant city. Whether you’re arriving by air, road, or other means of transportation, here’s how you can plan your visit to Canton:
- By Air: The Akron-Canton Airport (CAK) is the nearest airport to Canton, offering domestic flights and easy access to the city. Located approximately 18 miles from downtown Canton, CAK provides a convenient entry point for air travelers. Upon landing, you can rent a car at the airport or arrange ground transportation to reach your destination within Canton.
- By Car: If you’re traveling by car, Canton is easily accessible via major highways. Interstate 77 (I-77) is the primary north-south route, and U.S. Route 62 is a significant east-west artery. These well-maintained highways intersect in Canton, making reaching the city by road straightforward. Additionally, there are ample parking facilities available throughout the city, including street parking and parking garages, to accommodate visitors.
- By Bus: For travelers seeking an affordable and eco-friendly option, consider arriving in Canton by bus. The Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA) operates a comprehensive bus system that connects Canton with nearby communities and cities. You can check SARTA’s routes and schedules to plan your journey. Greyhound Lines also provides intercity bus services that connect Canton with other major cities.
- By Train: Although Canton doesn’t have a train station within city limits, nearby cities like Akron and Cleveland have Amtrak train stations. You can take an Amtrak train to one of these cities and then use other modes of transportation, such as buses or rental cars, to reach Canton. The journey provides an opportunity to enjoy scenic views of the region.
- By Taxi and Rideshares: Once you’re in Canton, taxis and rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are readily available for convenient local transportation. You can easily hail a cab or use a rideshare app to explore the city, visit attractions, or reach your desired destination.
Once you’ve arrived in Canton, you’ll discover a city that blends history, culture, and modern amenities. From exploring the Pro Football Hall of Fame to strolling through the Canton Arts District, there’s plenty to see and do. With convenient transportation options, your visit to Canton, Ohio, is sure to be a memorable and enjoyable experience.
Best Restaurants In Canton
Canton, Ohio, is a city that offers a diverse culinary landscape with a wide range of dining options to satisfy every palate. Whether you’re in the mood for comfort food, international cuisine, or fine dining, here are five of the best restaurants in Canton, OH:
- Bender’s Tavern: Established in 1902, Bender’s Tavern is a Canton institution and one of the city’s most iconic restaurants. This upscale steakhouse and seafood restaurant combines historic charm with a classic menu. Their prime steaks, fresh seafood, and signature cocktails are legendary. The warm and inviting atmosphere, with dark wood and cozy booths, makes it a perfect spot for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.
- Basil Asian Bistro: For those craving Asian flavors, Basil Asian Bistro is a standout choice. This restaurant serves a fusion of Thai, Chinese, and Japanese dishes, offering a diverse menu that caters to various tastes. Whether you’re in the mood for sushi, pad Thai, or hibachi, Basil’s expertly crafted dishes and elegant ambiance make it a favorite among locals.
- The Twisted Olive: Located just a short drive from Canton, The Twisted Olive offers a unique dining experience in a stunning Mediterranean-inspired setting. This spacious restaurant is situated on a beautiful estate with lush gardens and picturesque views. The menu features a blend of Mediterranean and American dishes, including wood-fired pizzas, fresh seafood, and creative cocktails. The Twisted Olive is ideal for a leisurely brunch, a romantic dinner, or a special celebration.
- Table Six Kitchen + Bar: Table Six Kitchen + Bar focuses on farm-to-table dining, with a menu that changes with the seasons to ensure the freshest ingredients. Their commitment to using locally sourced produce and meats results in dishes that burst with flavor. The cozy yet upscale atmosphere adds to the overall dining experience.
- Lucca Downtown: Lucca Downtown is a charming Italian restaurant with a reputation for its mouthwatering pasta dishes and extensive wine selection. This intimate eatery is perfect for a romantic dinner or special celebration. Whether you choose a classic pasta dish or one of their inventive specials, you’ll be treated to a taste of Italy in the heart of Canton.
These five Canton, Ohio restaurants offer a taste of the city’s diverse culinary landscape. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, looking for a romantic dinner, or simply enjoying a casual meal with friends and family, Canton’s dining scene has something for everyone. So, savor the flavors and experience the warmth of Canton through its exceptional cuisine.
Popular Hotels And Resorts in Canton
Canton, Ohio, is a vibrant city with much to offer, including fantastic hotels and resorts. Whether you’re in town for business or leisure, you’ll find a variety of comfortable and popular places to stay. Here are five of the most well-liked hotels and resorts in Canton:
- Hyatt Place Canton: This hotel is a favorite among travelers for its modern amenities and convenient location. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped, making them a great choice for business and leisure travelers. It’s close to popular attractions like the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Belden Village Mall.
- Courtyard by Marriott Canton: Known for its friendly staff and excellent service, it is a top pick for many visitors. The rooms are comfortable, and the hotel has a lovely outdoor courtyard. It’s also conveniently near the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Akron-Canton Airport.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Canton: If you’re looking for a comfortable and budget-friendly option, the Hampton Inn & Suites is a great choice. Guests appreciate the clean rooms and complimentary breakfast. It’s near the Belden Village Mall and offers easy access to major highways.
- Staybridge Suites Canton: This hotel offers a cozy and home-like environment. Guests appreciate the fully-equipped kitchens in each suite, making it great for extended stays. It’s located near attractions like the Canton Classic Car Museum.
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Canton: Ideal for extended stays, this hotel provides spacious suites with kitchenettes, making it feel like a home away from home. It’s a popular choice for families and those who value flexibility during their stay. The hotel is also near the Pro Football Hall of Fame and various dining options.
Each of these hotels and resorts in Canton offers its own unique charm and amenities, catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you’re seeking modern comforts, historic elegance, or extended-stay convenience, you’ll find a suitable place to stay in Canton, ensuring a pleasant and memorable visit to this lively Ohio city.
Point of Interest In Canton
Canton, Ohio, is a city rich in history, culture, and attractions catering to various interests. From sports enthusiasts to history buffs and nature lovers, there’s something to explore in Canton. Here are five points of interest in Canton, OH:
- Sippo Lake Park: Nature enthusiasts will solace at Sippo Lake Park, a serene oasis within Canton. This expansive park offers various outdoor activities, including hiking trails, boating, fishing, and picnicking. The Exploration Gateway, an interactive nature center within the park, educates visitors about the area’s natural history and offers hands-on exhibits and educational programs for all ages.
- Canton Classic Car Museum: The Canton Classic Car Museum is a hidden gem for automotive enthusiasts and history buffs. This museum features an impressive collection of vintage automobiles, from classic cars to rare and historic models. Visitors can marvel at beautifully restored vehicles and learn about the evolution of the automobile industry. The museum also houses an assortment of nostalgic memorabilia and artifacts from the past, providing a captivating glimpse into the history of transportation.
- Canton Food Tours: Discover the culinary delights of Canton through guided food tours that take you on a journey through the city’s diverse dining scene. These tours typically include visits to local restaurants, bakeries, and specialty food shops, where you can sample various dishes and treats. It’s a culinary adventure and an opportunity to learn about the city’s history, culture, and the stories behind its food.
- Canton Brewing Company: Established in 1883, the Canton Brewing Company is a local gem with a rich brewing history. It’s one of the oldest breweries in Ohio and has been revitalized to offer craft beers inspired by tradition. Visitors can tour the brewery, enjoy a tasting session, or dine at the adjoining restaurant, the Canton Beer & Barrel. It’s a great place to relax and savor locally brewed beverages.
- First Ladies National Historic Site: Located in nearby Canton, the First Ladies National Historic Site offers a unique glimpse into the lives and contributions of America’s First Ladies. Housed in the former home of Ida Saxton McKinley, the wife of President William McKinley, this site features exhibits and artifacts highlighting the roles and achievements of First Ladies throughout U.S. history. It provides a fascinating look at these women’s impact on the nation.
These five points of interest in Canton, Ohio, offer diverse experiences, from celebrating the legacy of football to exploring the arts, history, nature, and classic cars. Whether visiting for a weekend getaway or a longer stay, Canton’s attractions promise to leave you with lasting memories and a deeper appreciation for this dynamic city.
POINT OF INTEREST
THINGS TO DO IN CANTON
BEST PLACE TO LIVE IN CANTON
BEST RESTAURANTS IN CANTON
POPULAR HOTELS AND RESORTS IN CANTON